Friday, May 19, 2006

KEEPING UP WITH THE NEXT GEN

Meet Austin Krokos - one of our brand new staff members who is a senior staff member. How can this be? After being raised and churched outside Philadelphia, Austin decided to go to the bastion of conservative study and Harvard of the Rockies, Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado. "I was looking for life in partying and the mountains when God interrupted my life and revealed himself to me through the cross, using a staff member of Master Plan Ministries (an associate ministry with Campus Crusade.)" After being on staff with Master Plan for 3 years (2 at Ft. Lewis and 1 year at UNC in Greeley) Austin and his wife Laura were officially accepted to CCC staff last week.


Austin is pretty intense- pictured above he is taking one of their Labrador retrievers for a walk in the park. There are no leash laws above timberline. Here he is pictured below with his lovely wife Laura, using her BTU's to substitute for a coat and mittens. I think that is their cat attached to Laura's throat.

During times of chaos, I try to stick to the basics. 'He who is faithful in a very little thing is also faithful in much' Luke 16:10
Austin Krokos
University of Northern Colorado
Campus


For some reason Austin's picture is not posting on the profile section. So click on the May road (which has yet to be identified for the Reggie McNeal Book) to find out more about his interests and life until I exorcise the blog demons.

I was picking up my daughter from college last week. It was a sweet time of reunion and another reminder of how things have changed since my college days at C.U. I recently modified an old e-mail that circulated around years ago to help me better appreciate the generation gap between me and the "kids" on campus.

Most students who will start college this fall were born around 1988. They have no meaningful recollection of George Bush Senior’s presidency or the Persian Gulf War. Black Monday in 1987 is as significant as the Great Depression. They have never feared a nuclear war and have no memory of the Cold War. The Vietnam or Korean War is as ancient history to them as WWII or WW I is to us.

Their lifetime has always included Walkmans, remote controls, Personal Computers, CDs, VHS, STDs, and HIV. Bottle caps have always been screw-off and plastic. They have no idea what a pull top can looks like . There have always been red and blue M&M’s, but what do you mean there used to be beige ones? Most of them have always had an answering machine and modem. They have never seen a black & white TV and the thought of a TV with less than 50 channels scares them. VCRs are real old fashioned compared to DVDs and Beta is a fish- not a format of recording.

Playing football with the guys involves a plastic control pad - not a leather ball. Roller skating has always meant inline for them. They would rather watch the X-Games than the Olympics. They have never seen Larry Bird play basketball and Magic Johnson is some guy with AIDS. Late night TV has always had Leno and Letterman. Popcorn has always been cooked in a microwave. They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool. They never took a swim and thought about Jaws, the old Star Wars looks fake to them and the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast are old Disney Classics. The Titanic was found? - I thought we always knew where it was. Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not rock groups and Michael Jackson has always been white.

And now I know why I feel like the ancient one.

-Bert

No comments: