Monday, October 22, 2007

THE PUP AND THE PALACE


Meet Steve Kammer (pictured here to the left of Dave Smith and Aaron Schalosky), a minister of the Gospel who is a husband, father, and official member of the Great Plains International YBGC- as in Young Bald Guys Club! As our senior staffer of the week Steve will receive a month's supply of hair gel.

Steve is on the Colorado Springs Catalytic team where he has served for the past four years after getting his baptism of fire in Spain his first two years on staff. "One of my best ministry memories was from the cross cultural challenges in Spain. We often said, 'We work like dogs, live like kings.'


(A picture of Steve from his days in the Spanish mission field)


It was those moments, around an amazing meal or hanging out on a balcony with some of my closest friends in the world bonding while tired after working hard for God. Sitting there, discussing life and enjoying the sweetness of friends."

Steve is an official native of Colorado, born July 17, 1973 in Denver and raised in Colorado Springs. Steve attended the University of Colorado in Boulder where he graduated in 1997 before joining staff in 2001. However, it was in high school that he came to faith in Jesus Christ through his friendship with Kelly Mulholland. Below is a picture of Steve and Kelly retrieving Steve's three year old son Owen from a local pub. I guess they don't allow minors to do bar evangelism in some states.

Other people who have shaped Steve's faith and life include Spencer Nichol, Tim Kelly, John O’Neal, Jay Cline, and Tim Kellerame. Just as others have influenced his life, Steve finds that to be one of the most rewarding aspects of being on staff: "The thing I enjoy most about being on staff is getting to be a part of what God is doing in the lives of students, seeing their lives change and being along for the ride. I love teaching to see it change people’s lives."

Steve loves staff life so much that it was hard for him to come up with a dislike: "There’s not a lot I don't enjoy about serving with CCC. Other than sometimes it can be hard to put your work down." More on Steve can be viewed in his profile section to the right.


A ministry lesson/perspective God has taught me over my years on staff is the need to repeat, remember and rediscover the basics of the faith. The gospel and those things that move me spiritually on a regular basis as well as being a part of Kingdom work will foster a life lived for Christ and avoid falling into “casual Christianity”
Steve Kammer
Colorado Springs Catalytic Team

Wanderings From The Wilderness

I have been reflecting back on the book of Exodus and how some of the senior staff experience can be like a detour through the desert. Though the title of the book tells us the primary account is about God taking the nation of Israel out of the bondage of the Egyptians, we can overlook the process of the Heavenly Father constantly bringing His Hebrew children in to a more personal relationship with Himself. God's desire is for a greater liberation for their hearts to be delivered from Egypt to Him.

In Exodus 5, when Pharaoh withheld straw from the making of bricks, the Israelite foremen cursed Moses and Aaron. When Moses took this discouraging news to the Lord, His response was this: "Therefore, say to the Israelites: `I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God, And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. I will give it to you as a possession. I am the LORD.'"

Count how many times the Lord says I will in these three verses. His promises give His children relationship and significance far superior to a life of slave labor. He is their Lord who has passion and purpose for His people. Yet in spite of God’s great plans and grand purpose, we constantly see the children of Israel reluctant to trust Him.

to be continued next week...
-Bert

No comments: