Friday, December 07, 2007

SANTA OR BABY

And now for something completely different...
I finally found a cool picture that has a gravel road by a paved highway. (As you know from previous blogs this contrasts the new staff-senior staff development experience.) So for the December Gravel Road of the Month contest I thought we would do something different. First, I don't want the state or country but rather the town the road pictured below runs by. I know this sets the bar high but each time you guess I will give you a new hint if you are wrong.


As for the reward, since you senior staffers are getting your books for the DCC learning groups, the book of the month is the one you are reading. So for the first senior staff person to guess the gravel road's location, you will receive a free lunch with me and John Lamb at DCC. The only condition is John gets to pick where we eat. And as you know, with JL that could mean something ethnic like Efrain's Mexican restaurant, or something wild like fresh venison John killed with his bare hands after his quiet time. I expect my inbox to be filled with guesses within the hour.

'Tis the season for the annual tension between the celebration of our faith's humble beginning and the commercialization of our consumer culture's greatest retail bonanza. We all strive to find that balance between keeping it simple and focused on Jesus and blessing those who mean so much to us by giving. That lends itself to the desire to also be a good receiver- which can offset the whole focus of this time as a believer.



However, it was this conflict in the Christmas holiday that brought Aubrey Ann Dorsch to realize her need for eternal life- and what was true and what was make believe. Says Aubrey, "As a child, I found out that Santa wasn't real, but that Jesus is, all at the same time. So I accepted Jesus instead of Santa." With all due respect to Haddon Sundblom's Coca Cola Santa, Aubrey chose the Real Thing. To get more insight into our senior staffer of the week let's back up in time and go to the Atlantic Coast of the Bible Belt.

Aubrey was a summer baby, born July 30, 1979 in Richmond, Virginia. As she grew up her interests covered a wide range from athletics to acting. "I was born a soccer player, but haven't done much since becoming an adult." After being raised in the southeast, mostly in Georgia, Aubrey struck out for fame and fortune to Webster University. "I went to college to become an actor. I love performing Shakespeare."


"God is constantly trying to teach me humility. I'm a slow learner. But, I've come to see that the Lord often brings about a lot more growth in my life as I do ministry than I ever see in others."
Aubrey Dorsch
St. Louis Catalytic Team

After graduating from Webster in 2001 Aubrey came on staff where she has been with the St. Louis Team for the past 6 years. When I asked her to share what she likes about the job she narrowed it down to one thing: "The thing I enjoy most about being on staff is seeing people's lives transformed in Christ-likeness! That and discipleship, experiencing God all over the world, summer projects, summer projects, summer projects, supporters who pray for me, and watching God provide support in so many ways. The thing I least enjoy about being on staff is saying good-bye to people."

Hmmm, saying good-byes- maybe that is why she didn't mention summer projects.

So Aubrey, do you have any special passions or interests?






"I take a lot of pictures of my children. My husband teases that I enjoy spending all day with them and then looking at their pictures after they are asleep."

Parenting memo to young moms: Don't let your kids play with your sun- glasses. That is why you see Aubrey with 3 different pairs in all 3 pictures.

You can find out more about Aubrey's interests and influences in the profile section to the right. In closing, I asked Aubrey to narrow down and share one special ministry memory: "So, so many to choose from. As I was chatting with an Asian girl at our fall getaway, she asked me if I would share the Gospel with her again. (I knew she was not yet a believer) So I did, of course. And as I shared she said, "This is such wonderful news. All of you need to leave here right now, and go to my country to share this with my people." I was floored, so I asked, "Well, Jasmine, do YOU believe in Jesus?" And she said, "Well, no, I have not decided yet. But everyone should at least have the opportunity to hear this and decide for themselves. That is why you all need to go tell my people."

And that is awesome reminder of the true meaning of Christmas- and why we all need to go tell it to all people.
-Bert

No comments: