Thursday, November 12, 2009

PARTY GIRL

Congratulations to Phil Washburn at New Mexico State! Phil was the first (and only) person to correctly identify the gravel road of the month to be in the state of New Mexico. It is an actual northern New Mexico pasture where Phil and his friends would go during their high school days to go cactus tipping. By now he should be enjoying his own copy of our book of the month, Prodigal God by Tim Keller.

Our senior staff member of the week is an assessment freak who loves planning parties as much as going to them. She is an ENFJ on the Myers-Briggs and has a Sanguine-Choleric temperament. ("They’re pretty even and very high.") Her Strengthsfinders are 1. Strategic 2. Individualization 3. Arranger 4. Relator 5. Connectedness. ("Sometimes these help you know people…sometimes not so much.") By now the staff in Columbia know who it is, but for the rest of us let me introduce you to Jamie Rene Wagner.

Jamie was born a Sanguine in Collinsville, Illinois in April of 1984 and raised a Choleric in Saint Charles, Missouri. It was there she met her later to be husband Ryan while in the 7th grade. But before Ryan, there was the other guy. You know- the other guy she took on a missionary date and got herself converted. "I started dating a guy my freshman year of high school who said he didn’t believe in God so I took him to the church down the street where I (and he) trusted in Jesus. Throughout high school, I would say I was half in until my freshman year of college where through Crusade, I made the decision that Christ would be the center and purpose for my life."

Just a few years later she was on the other side of the audience at a freshman girls' sleepover. "I shared my story with 40 freshman girls about where I was my freshman year of college (somewhat wanting to walk with God but wanting all of the world at the same time) & how God took my life & put me on solid ground so I could walk a lifetime with Him at the center. It was amazing to think about where I was in their shoes so many years ago & see how God had grown me and to want that for their life in college."
Like Ryan, after getting her degree in conference and event planning, Jamie has interned, volunteered, and been part time with Mizzou CRU and has completed her training in the process before transitioning to full time staff. Her training experience has not been without some fun and challenges. "The Mizzou team's experience at First Year Leaders Conference was one no one will forget. Everyone was exhausted and was NOT looking forward to the 12 hour drive. It was an experience for most & by the end of the trip everyone was screaming and yelling at one another (we were all going through Changes that Heal and learning boundaries) with the best part being one intern getting EXTREMELY ANGRY about the dinner selection (this was actually a good “healing” step for them) and another responding in the moment by trying to read them Bible verses on walking in the Spirit. It’s definitely the MOST told story to new interns & staff at the Mizzou campus. So many great stories from that trip. But that is the thing I enjoy most about being on staff, doing life alongside of authentic community."


"My favorite ministry experience was when Cru at Mizzou partnered with a local film festival, True/False Film Festival to help advocate for their non profit sector 'True Life Fund'. We were selected to help advertise and raise awareness against Sex Trafficking and specifically the new film 'Very Young Girls'. The festival is well known in Columbia & nationwide and it was SO FUN getting to work with people from all walks of life, see our students forming new relationships with people that would never have naturally wanted to partner with a Christian ministry, and to see the Lord really use our efforts to help start a movement in Columbia to end sex trafficking in our city!"

For some of Jamie's other passions and interests you can go to the profile section. We asked her next to Jesus, Ryan, and Honey the wonder dog, what things energize her the most? "I LOVE coming up with a reason to celebrate. I have a high value for fun in my life. God has taught me during my new staff training that 'an attitude of gratitude sets the altitude for life.' It’s kind of been a team motto."

You are officially on the gravel road Jamie so go throw yourself a party. We all look forward to you and Ryan coming to the high life of full time senior staff this year! Until then don't forget to feed the dog.

No comments: