Thursday, December 17, 2009

HELLO TRUMAN!


It is a ministry principle that you never want to make people feel like they are a project when you are sharing the Gospel. But what if you are an evangelistic project and you like it so much you put your faith in Christ? Truman Lo, our senior staffer of the week, started his faith journey in just that fashion. "I was my dad's homework assignment for a seminary course on evangelism. He sat me down one night after dinner, shared the gospel with me, and I asked Christ into my life when I was eight years old."

Born in the quaint Asian-American village of Houston, Texas on December 13, 1976, Truman's parents wanted him to emulate their culture and faith out of the womb. "People often ask how I got my name – Truman. I was given my Chinese name first – Yixon, which means of great faith and trustworthy. My parents then flipped through a names book and found an english name that meant the same...thus, Truman." Though he grew up in Houston he was raised in his Asian heritage. "I never experienced 'true' American holiday traditions until I was on Stint. Ironic that as a Chinese growing up in America, it would take my going to Asia to experience American traditions." Dad and Mom Lo did something special in their parental spiritual formation raising two kids to be CRU staff. "My sister is also on staff. We actually directed a team together. And we still love each other."

Truman went to college at the University of Texas, majoring in psychology, and minoring in discipleship. "My college discipler Tobin Miller was a creature of habit. When I was a student, our appointments for 2 years always fell on his smoked turkey sandwich at Texadelphia day. Then when we were on Stint, our appointments always fell on need to restock on diapers day. Another discipler I had in college decided he wanted to mentor us by having each one of the guys over for a little sleepover with his family. He wanted “real life” discipleship. We'd have dinner with his family that night. And then on Saturday morning we'd spent the entire morning working on his deck. As a Bible study, we ended up building his deck for him."

Of course every student, when he is fully trained, will be like his teacher. "This was so crafty. Well I tried this with one of the guys that I was discipling. Actually worked out well with him weeding my very overgrown planter. Being new here in Denver and yet to have regular disciples, but a lot of house projects, I'm itching to really begin seeing stuff happen on campus."

Truman posing with his disciplemaker kit in Austin, Texas. Just a heads up if he invites you over for Bible study- it could be a lesson on Revelations 3:16 that involves replacing his hot water heater.

After college Truman stinted in Asia, interned in the regional office, and had several Red River assignments in Austin, the regional office, WSM, ESM, Epic, and New Orleans. With all that movement launching and moving around he did manage to find a wife - online. "I met my wife on eharmony. Thanks, Neil Clark Warren and your 29 dimensions of compatibility." That breeze you now feel is the collective sigh of "AWWWW" from all the single staff in the Great Plains region.

"The thing I enjoy most about being on staff is changed lives and summer projects...which is closely tied to changed lives. It's amazing especially to see how the students' lives are changed on summer projects. One of my best ministry memories occured on our Epic Hawaii summer project. We put the guys through a pretty extreme obstacle course, with various other challenges. Prior to this men's time, the guys weren't really bonding all that well. Throughout the night, a lot of things were surfaced in these guys. There were actually some tears, some anger, and even some throwing up...but it was all worth it when I watched them all wait for one another, hold hands, and cross that finish line together. The breakthroughs that night, which led to some of the best bonding among men in all the summer projects I've been on, is still one of my best ministry memories."

"The thing I least enjoy about being on staff is that feeling like I'm always behind, there's always more to do. God has taught me the past year I don't pray enough. This quote that I heard in a talk has really stuck with me - 'In this supernatural cause, which rests on the supernatural character of God...neglect of prayers is a willful limitation of success.' "

You notice in these pictures Truman is always smiling. Along with a passion for the outdoors, eating, and Texas football, Truman is also an accomplished photographer. .
The picture at the left actually won him and Amber some nice perks. "I submitted a photo in a contest in the Austin American Statesman which is the Austin paper. It won Amber and me 2 free rounds of golf and a night at a resort and spa in Austin." What a blessing to have the Los in our region and on the Denver team. To get to know more of Truman's interests and passions you can click the profile section or better yet- take him to coffee at DCC in two weeks.

Until next year have a blessed journey on all your roads of travel!
-Bert

No comments: