Thursday, February 25, 2010

OLYMPIC FEVER

For most people the Winter Olympics is about the speed of the slalom, the grace of figure skaters, or the high risk exploits of the half pipe snow boarders. For senior staffer of the week Mark Wicks, it is simply a hockey tournament with ski events attached. Why? Because Mark is a full blooded Canadian, you hosers.

Born in London, Ontario, Canada, on June 8, 1981, Mark was the third or fourth of four kids. "I have two older sisters and a twin brother. I’m often asked if I liked being a twin or if we look alike. For the record I do like being a twin, it was a great to always have my best friend around. And no, we don’t look very much alike at all. That's me in the Canada hat and jersey with my brother, Jonathan, and my Dad in the picture above. I’m a very proud Canadian. It usually doesn’t take people long to figure that out. When I meet someone and say “out” a lot of people will ask where I’m from. I love the Olympics and I’m trying to watch them as much as I can, especially since they’re in Canada."
Mark started life with a firm spititual foundation in the great white north. "I grew up in a Christian home where I was taught about Christ and how to have a relationship with Him. When I was five years old my oldest sister, Joy, helped me and my other siblings pray to receive Christ. My Dad, Don Wicks, was a major influence in my spiritual development. Growing up he was both my father and my pastor. From him I learned about having a love for God’s word, being a man of patience and what it means to be selfless and have a servant’s heart."

When Mark got older, his family migrated (we are assuming legally) to the United States where his dad took a teaching position at Kent State University. This resulted in Mark getting some higher educational perks so he went to Kent State University, and majored in Photo Illustration, 2006. (Photo Illustration is essentially commercial and studio photography.) Says Mark, "Photography is something I enjoy. I’ve always been interested in artistic things and that directed me to choose it as my major in college. I’m excited to live in Colorado and take pictures of this beautiful place. Chicago was also a fun place to shoot with all of its interesting architecture."."

Mark took enough time from behind the lens to pursue his faith while at Kent State. That is when he met Rick and Dan. "Rick McKee and Dan Larison, staff at Kent State when I was a student involved in the Campus Crusade ministry. They taught me a lot about having a heart for the lost and how to lead. I also enjoyed getting to see them raise their families, exemplifying what it means to be a Godly husband and father. When Jessica and I were getting married we decided to fly Rick out to Colorado to perform our wedding."

Mark came on staff the same year he graduated in 2006. "I enjoy spending my time helping people to understand what the gospel means for their lives and how it affects every part of their life. I love getting to teach people about the God’s word. It is also fun to get to use different skills and knowledge that I have, whether that means giving a talk or doing graphic design. The challenge of staff life for me is the lack of structure our job can sometimes have. I’m not a structured or organized person by nature and it can be hard for me to create that for myself." After three years on staff in the Cleveland metro area the Wicks joined our region as part of the UNC team. Being organizationally challenged, it was a good thing for Mark God made Jessica his helpmate.

"Jessica is also a great influence on me. She is more organized and has greater attention to detail. She is also a great question asker, I have learned a lot about asking good questions by watching her. I also appreciate her relational nature. There is a richness to her relationships with others and with God that doesn’t come naturally to me. Seeing the depth she can achieve gives me something to aspire to."

"Probably the highlight of my new staff training years was going to Chicago on Summer Project in 2008. It was a great experience. I loved being in the city, it’s a really fun place to spend a few weeks. There is so much to see and do. I also love the ministry opportunities we had there. I leaned a great deal about ministry form our project director, Grant Scott. ."
One particular highlight was getting to know a Muslim international student from Saudi Arabia. We got together several times to discuss Christianity. He had a lot of questions and it was fun to talk with him and get to know him. Jessica and I are going back to Chicago this summer and I hope to reconnect with him while we’re there."

For more of Mark's interests and sweet classic movie reviews be sure to check out his profile by clicking on his face in the left margin of the blog page. "A perspective God has taught me during the past year that He continues to remind me of the constant need I have for the gospel, everyday and in every part of my life. I feel like it’s something that God continues to put in front of me and a lesson that I’m still trying to remember every day."

So here's to you our Ontario Canuck friend! Welcome to the GPI and may "Oh Canada," ring from the Vancouver rafters....but just for the figure skaters.
-Bert

No comments: