Thursday, March 30, 2006

SWASH-BUCKLING FAITH



AARRRRRRGH! We have a special treat for all you GPI CRU mateys. This week we have a guest Blogger: our Regional Catalytic Director Dave Dishman who has been known to preach and practice swash-buckling faith. Since our theme has been about faith risks I asked Dave to post in from his wisdom on the topic.

But first a big AHOY! shout out to our senior staff of the week who resides just north of the border- at least for a little while longer:

God has taught that I have to be patient with people and situations; my quick judgments are rarely appropriate or accurate.


David Sheehan

New Mexico State University


I can totally relate to Dave's quote. When I first glanced at his picture I thought he was a rock star getting busted in the back of a police cruiser. My quick judgement was way off. After further review I realized Dave is actually at an amusement park mentoring his daughter Anna Kate on how to have a mid day quiet time. Way to seize those "teachable moments" bro! David and Megan are in the middle of transitioning to the North East Region - talk about a faith step. When you check out his profile you will note he likes old Wayne flicks. My question is if that means John Wayne or Wayne's World flicks?

And now, several good words from the "Dish Man" on Faith

The definition of faith we often use comes from Hebrews 11:1; Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. I don’t know about you, but this verse has always seemed a little fuzzy. It doesn’t square well with my need to see and believe. I’m not sure it would work on CSI.

But I’m starting to understand this view of faith as I work with people. I like it when someone “has faith” in me. I like to be handed a job that’s challenging and hear that someone “has faith” that I can do the job. When they say that they mean that they believe that I can do the job. They would be surprised if I didn’t do the job. There’s an element of confident assurance for them as they entrust something important to someone else.

We have opportunities to exercise faith daily when we choose to give away leadership to others. Whether it’s our RD team asking people to lead a summer project, a stint team, a local ministry, or an aspect of the Denver Christmas Conference or it’s a staff member asking a student to lead or launch a movement, we are risking in faith. For some of us, letting someone else do something that’s important to us is the real step of faith. We worry about failure or lack of quality. Yet to reach an expanding world of students we must to do just that. It’s imperative that we take risks and entrust our ministry to others, steps of faith as we involve others in leadership.

Will some people fail? Of course. Will quality suffer? Sometimes. You and I fail. But what do we have to lose? If the Lord’s building the house (or the campus ministry), then the Lord is not limited by your or my failure. However…will others succeed gloriously in ways we would never have dreamed of? Absolutely. That’s the glory of it all. So take a step of faith, give away some of your leadership and see what the Lord builds.




Gravel Road Gratitude to our guest blogger Dave Dishman



A graduate of the University of Missouri, Dave and his wonder wife Dawn live in Erie, Colorado where they enjoy the great Rocky Mountain outdoors, raising three athletic children, (Matt, David, and Katie) and attending high school diversity assemblies.

No comments: