Thursday, October 09, 2008

IF YOU WERE TO DIE...

The Kennedy Questions! If you grew up around Evangelical America the past 35 years you have probably been presented with one if not both of these inquisitions. In 1974 Dennis James Kennedy founded the Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and developed Evangelism Explosion to train his laity in personal outreach. Kennedy fashioned two statements for E.E. that would open the door to spiritual conversation and could lead to a presentation of the Gospel: "If you were to die tonight, how sure are you that you would go to heaven?" (Usually with a 1-10 scale of certainty included.) The follow-up question was to this effect: "If Jesus were to meet you outside the gates of heaven and ask you 'Why should I let you into My kingdom?'- what would you tell Him?"

You can call it morbid, contrived, or canned but God used it in the faith journey of Lee Watkins. "I came from a religious home where I heard the name of Jesus often. But it wasn’t until I was a sophomore in high school that someone asked me if I were to die if I knew for certain where I’d go. I heard the Gospel and gave my life to Christ."

Lee was born in Kansas City, Missouri on August 6, 1980. Raised just south of the KC metro area in Grandview, Lee would go on to college at Webster University in St. Louis, Missouri where he met his wife Laura their freshman year. While getting his Bachelor of Fine Arts with an emphasis in drawing, he also picked up his kingdom degree before graduating in the spring of 2003. You could say Lee was starting Crusade movements before he was even in one.

"Campus Crusade was the first table I remember seeing on campus at the start of my freshman year. I had heard about CCC from a cousin who was involved at MIZZOU, so was looking for CCC when I came to school. I walked up and introduced myself to Scott Kelley and said, “You guys are who I’m looking for, how do I get involved?” A week later I was meeting with Scott and he was asking me if I wanted to help start Campus Crusade for Christ at Webster University. I didn’t realize it, but my first day on campus was the first day that CCC had ever been at Webster U. Laura and I were part of a “movement” of 5-8 students that first year. There is a group of about 20 students gathering to hear and grow in the Gospel every week at Webster University today!"

The thing I enjoy most about being on staff is seeing God work in the lives of the students we care for. There is nothing like seeing a student, whether they’ve known the Lord for a long time, or they are hearing the Gospel for the first time, seeing these students really “get it.” I also love that my kids are growing up around college students who love Christ.
Lee Watkins
St. Louis Metro Team


"One memory we turn to often is from our time as students. We were launching the ministry on our campus and we, like a good overzealous freshman should, had things planned every night of the week. Our staff asked us if we really thought that was the best thing to do. And we insisted it was. Of course, in the long run, this wasn’t the greatest idea. But our staff gave us the freedom to run with it, and amidst the hard stuff, we saw God do some incredible things. We look back on this to remind ourselves that this is the Lord’s ministry through our students, and we need to relax a little bit and let them take some risks and try new things."

As he has completed his new staff training, Lee has expanded his view of the eternal in the daily glory and grind of ministry. "A ministry perspective God has taught me during new staff training is anytime someone trusts Christ, anytime someone grows as a follower of Jesus, anytime someone takes a step of faith, anytime someone partners with us financially…anytime these things in ministry take place, it is a supernatural act of a Sovereign God. It has been good to learn and remember that all of ministry is supernatural." For more Lee just click on his mug to the left and read up on his special interests.

SENIOR STAFF CONFERENCE COUNTDOWN
In less than three weeks we will be taking in the high life together at Glen Eyrie. The conference enter is 20 minutes from the Coorado Springs airport and over an hour from DIA. For those of you who are looking to rent a car and want to find others to go in with you to defer the cost, you can use the comment section of the Gravel Road below to connect with others in need of ride. The protocol will be simple- if you plan to rent a car at the airport just post your name, e-mail, and number of spots you have availible. Other senior staff can e-mail you to make arrangements if it fits into your schedule and arrival times. Once your car is filled just post that info in the comment section.

Until next week
-Bert

1 comment:

Tyler Zach said...

I am looking to rent a car at the airport (COS) or catch a ride. I believe Matthew Groves is looking as well.

tyler.zach@uscm.org

Thanks! - Tyler