Thursday, October 16, 2008

ST FRANCIS OF THE GREAT PLAINS

.
Saint Francis of Assisi was a thirteenth century friar who founded the Order of Friars Minor. He was known for his great love for animals and legend has it that he would preach to birds and animals during his frequent nature walks. His passion for simplicity, the environment, and preaching molded the Franciscans into a mendicant movement.




Saint Francis of Kansas is a small town in the northwest corner of the wheat state and the home of football coaching legend Hoagie Carmichael. Coach Carmichael was known for eating birds and small animals during his frequent halftime pep talks. His drive for small town excellence has shaped a number of our GPI staff including senior staffer of the week Bobby Rainbolt.

Bobby was born in Chadron, Nebraska but raised in St. Francis. Thus in high school he came under the tutelage of my former classmate and teammate, Scott "Hoagie" Carmichael. The Hoag did something right as Bobby went on to Fort Hays State to get his degree in Exercise Science (which I believe is the antithesis of rocket science)! It was also at FHS that his spiritual walk got its pace. "I came to Christ when I was 5 at Vacation Bible School. Even though I grew up in a great Christian home, I didn’t really walk with God until my freshman year in college after going to DCC." Upon getting his degree Bobby then followed big brother Christian to Cru staff at CSU where he has been the past three years.

Bobby has brought a little bit of St. Francis and Coach Hoagie with him. Here he is above at an outdoor staff retreat last fall. This was one of his spiritual highlights. "One of my best ministry memories next to leading a summer project to Spain, was watching the Colorado Rockies make it to the World Series in ’07! I know I didn’t have anything to do in the Rockies run, but it was really ministering to me!"

Bobby even lists Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzski as one of his people of influence.

One of the things he has learned through new staff training is the reality of laying up treasures in heaven. When asked the thing he enjoys most about being on staff Bobby replied: "THE MONEY!!! (or otherwise known as watching students trust God and step out in faith and walk with him!). The thing I least enjoy about being on staff is probably keeping weird hours and trying to find a normal social life outside of the ministry."

A ministry perspective God has taught me during new staff training is to strive for connectedness with God rather than doing or getting anything done for Him!

Bobby Rainbolt
CSU Campus Team




His former jock days under coach Hoagie have affected his smile and walk on the street. "I have knocked my front teeth out 5 times and I can’t walk on a sidewalk without trying to not step on the cracks!" One of those old superstitions that I am sure Bobby's mom appreciates.

Yet when you look at Bobby's interests you will see that Franciscan love for the outdoors. "I love the Rockies and baseball, but I also love doing just about anything outdoors! During summertime, I love to rock climb, mountain bike, coach high school baseball, during the wintertime I love to SKI, and occasionally snowboard." Bobby has parlayed his passions and education into ministry by coaching high school baseball and starting a Student Venture movement at a Ft. Collins high school. Coach Hoagie would be proud.

Eleven days and counting
-Bert

No comments: