Thursday, October 22, 2009

HIGH ALTITUDE TRAINING


If you ask our senior staffer of the week Darci Hullah for one of her training highlights she would tell you it doesn't get much higher than a ministry road trip through Ski Country USA. "Our whole team took an RV trip to Rangely and Steamboat Springs, Colorado, to launch some new campuses. We had so much fun, the camaraderie was great, and the scenery was awesome."
I heard through the grapevine that the trip was immortalized in GPI lore when Curtis Brink's cousin (who owned and drove the RV) came to Christ at a mountain rest stop. Eddie (pictured at the right) couldn't wait to get back home to share his faith with his wife and kids.

Born and raised in Council Bluffs, Iowa, Darci was on a career track with the midwest Mafia. "My first job was at Harrah's Casino in a 50's themed diner." She left the lure of lucre and bright casino lights to pursue an education degree at Southwest Missouri University.
Her greatest education came her first week on campus when she received some uncommon knowledge that had some how evaded her midwest lifestyle and casino career. "During the first week of classes my freshman year at SMS, I attended a Crusade weekly meeting, heard the Gospel and wondered 'Why have I never heard this before?' I prayed to receive Christ that night."

After getting her Bachelor's and Master's degrees in elementary and middle school education, she taught 3rd grade for one year before joining staff. "Elementary & college…basically the same, right?" She has since been on the Denver Metro team for the past 4 years living out the abundant life.

"The thing I enjoy most about being on staff is helping students grow and witnessing life change. Also getting to work with my hubby. The thing I least enjoy about being on staff is conferences.....just kidding. It would actually be the commute to Colorado Northwestern Community College in Rangely, Colorado which is over 5 hours and not as much fun without the team and Eddie's RV."


Darci likes working from her strengths and passions for which staff and motherhood provide ample opportunities. "My top 5 Strengths are Harmony, Developer, Responsibility, Learner, Adaptability. I’m enjoying being a mom. As a developer, watching Lukas grow brings me a lot of joy, plus he’s just a lot of fun. According to Birkman, I have a need for music in my life. I love music and enjoy downloading free songs off iTunes every week, even the 'Cancion de la Semana'."

Always a learner, Darci says the biggest lesson God has taught her during her new staff training is, "That people’s perceptions are their reality." When not ministering or momming she creative ventures in photography and renovations. "I love photography…just completed a 4-week photography workshop & I want to take another one!!! I always have a camera with me."

One of the more intriguing traits of Darci I noticed is that she is a finisher. A lot of people can start things- but few can be the closer who brings them to completion. "I also enjoy completing projects on our house (a former HUD-home) with Brett, but usually not starting them." Isn't that every man's dream wife - a woman who finishes the mess you start.

Congrats on completing your new staff training Darci and thanks for sharing your photographic skills to class up the Gravel Road.

No comments: