From an episode of The Office:Stanley: I took an extra shot of insulin in preparation for this cake today. If I don't have some cake soon I might die.
Oscar: Why don't you just have an apple?
Stanley: Why don't you mind your own business.

"As a diabetic, that is one of my favorite Office quotes!" Says Katie Stetson, our senior staffer of the week. "A big part of my life is living with type one diabetes. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and it has totally changed my life as I constantly monitor my blood sugar and wear an insulin pump 24/7. Being an Office addict (I have all 5 seasons on my iPod and would venture to say I could beat most people at any Office trivia!) I can totally relate to Stanley's angst. 'If I don't have some cake soon I might die!' I think I've tried this line on Shawn before---it does not work!"

Having just worked with Katie at the KU Getaway I know a little first hand about her heart and serving endurance. She has persevered in fighting the good fight throughout her spiritual journey. Born deep in the heart of Texas, in San Antonio on September 3, 1982, Katie has had quite a geographically diverse childhood as she was raised in Columbia, Missouri but spent her fourth grade year on Ascension Island. It’s a volcanic British Isle located in the middle of the south Atlantic. Her spiritual landscape was a typical midwestern scene as she grew up going to church and accepted Christ at the age of 8 during a trip to her grandparents' house. But it was during her college days at Northwest Missouri State University that things really started to erupt.
"I grew up in a Christian home and decided I wanted to find a ministry when I left for school. I checked out CRU my freshman year but chose instead to live life my own way and to try and gain the acceptance of my friends who weren't interested in spiritual things at all. All of that changed my second semester sophomore year when I was hospitalized with meningitis. Suddenly it became clear that I was wasting my life living for myself.
"The next year I started attending a CRU Bible study, went to DCC and decided to go on a summer project to Yellowstone. Through these things and great friends in CRU, God really worked in my heart and completely changed my life that year. When God began to tug on my heart to join staff, I knew I wanted to spend my life helping college students find Jesus and true life, the way I did in college."

So Katie came on staff in the summer of 2005 and has spent the past three years at Kansas University. She loves the variety of challenges and opportunities staff life brings. "The thing I enjoy most about being on staff is the flexibility in my weekly schedule and going on summer projects. One of my best ministry memories came during a spring break trip to New York. I had a great afternoon doing Soularium and talking for hours with three Muslim girls at Queensborough Community College in NYC."
When asked what else she loved besides Jesus, The Office, and Shawn, Katie responds,"Kiwi is our 2 year old Shih Tzu (and yes, we always get the typical jokes when we tell people what kind of dog we have). Ever since Shawn and I got married, I begged him to get me a dog. Finally for my birthday two years ago I was able to pick out Kiwi. She is definitely the baby of our household and is spoiled rotten!"
With that inspiration I have what I need to give Katie a great title for her post. Welcome to life beyond the NST Notebook Katie. We are honored to have you in the GPI!
-Bert

No comments:
Post a Comment